GEOGRAPHY IN THE NEWS:
The Congo River forms most of the border between the Republic of Congo (on the north/west side of the river) and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (on the south/east side of the river). Last month geographers announced they have mapped a section of the countries' shared Congo River basin that contains the largest tropical peatland ever discovered, an area larger than England or New York State. Peat is one of nature's primary forms of carbon sequestration: scientists estimate that although the newly mapped peatland accounts for only 4% of the Congo River basin, it contains as much carbon below ground as the trees and plants of the other 96% above ground. Put another way, the Congo peatland contains enough carbon that, should it be released by fires or drainage for agricultural use, it would equal two decades' worth of U.S. carbon emissions. now.howstuffworks.com/2017/01/23/largest-tropical-peatland-congo
Leave a Reply.
Blog sharing news about geography, philosophy, world affairs, and outside-the-box learning
This blog also appears on Facebook: