MAPS IN THE NEWS:
This series of maps shows changes in minimum annual sea ice at the poles between 1980 and 2016. (The darker blue is sea ice; the lighter blue is where sea ice used to be.) The presence or absence of sea ice has a significant impact on biogeography as well as on local and global physical geography: sea ice reflects 80% of the sunlight that hits it, whereas open water reflects only 10% of the sunlight that hits it, absorbing (and being heated by) the other 90%. www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2016/11/daily-chart-14
Leave a Reply.
Blog sharing news about geography, philosophy, world affairs, and outside-the-box learning
This blog also appears on Facebook: